In this modern, fast paced, food-on-the-go culture, our dietary habits are a source of many of the common diseases of today:
- Acid Indigestion
- Heart Disease
According to Ayurveda, good health is the effect of a healthy lifestyle and healthy habits, such as those listed below. Incorporate a few of them at first, then add more when you feel you can, without being overwhelmed. Some of these suggestions may be quite a big change for you, so take it slow and enjoy the benefits!
General Dietary Habits
1. Eat only when hungry.
2. Food should be chewed until it is of an even consistency.
3. Food should be eaten without distraction: (no TV, working, reading, driving) and in a relaxed frame of mind.
4. Food should be moist, not too dry.
5. Only a small amount of liquids should be taken before, during, and after meals. Warm drinks are better than cold.
6. Take some time to rest after meals.
7. Eat until partially full, donâ€™t put the digestive fire out completely.
8. Allow 3-4 hours between meals for food to digest.
9. Try to be relaxed during meals.
Daily Routine for Good Health
1. On waking, drink a large glass of warm to hot water to flush out the body and aid elimination. Wait a while for that first cup of coffee or tea.
2. Brush teeth lightly. Scrape tongue with a tongue scraper to remove any residue.
3. Set aside some early morning time for meditation or deep breathing.
4. Eat breakfast early enough to allow enough time between meals for your food to digest (3-4 hours).
5. Exercise at least 3-4 times per week, leaving some time to relax prior to bedtime.
6. Allow enough time for your evening meal to digest before going to bed.
7. Be sure to get adequate sleep for your particular constitution and lifestyle.